Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Tree




I live in the country and this particular tree happens to be in my yard.  I chose it for my tree-hugging picture  because I love it's way of drawing wildlife into it's branches and around it's trunk.  Where I live there are many creatures including quail, deer, two very cute bunny rabbits and one very special owl, and they all LOVE this tree.  The tree is so close to my home that in the summer it shades the southeast corner of the house.  One of the rabbits I've named Roger and my boyfriend Lance named the other one Jessica.  Roger is gray and Jessica is black and white.  They are "Roger and Jessica Rabbit".  Every afternoon they come out and look for any goodies they might be able to find that I've thrown out, like apples, carrots or other little veggies underneath the tree.  Today I saw them out by the pond sitting next to each other with their little sweet faces pointed towards the sun!  The owl doesn't typically show up until around 6:00p.m.  He is particularly fond of my boyfriend Lance who is usually watching TV around this time.  The owl sits on the same branch of the tree every single evening and stares right in the window at Lance.  Also, there's a light that shines from the side of the house giving him light to see his prey.  He sits there until around 7:00a.m. every morning. 

My tree is a good tree.  It's a real "Giving Tree".  It provides shelter, shade and protection for many living things.



This is a picture of the kind of owl that sits in the tree every night.  It's a Great Grey Owl.



Great gray owl



When I was a child, my mother used to read a book to me called "The Giving Tree".   It's a story about a young boy who grows up to be an elderly man.  The tree generously gives to him throughout his life without thought of anything in return. 


The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (1964, Hardcover)


No comments:

Post a Comment