Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Myth Behind My Name




 
  Good Afternoon. I'm not sure if I'm doing this correct or not. I tried posting a profile picture to my profile, but I think I accidentally posted it to my blogspot. Sorry about that. I'm going to try to do this again but this time hopefully with an actual blog for everyone to read.

   I was going through yesterday's lecture notes, and I remember Professor Sexson talking about how there is a myth in everything including your name. So, with that said, I decided to look up the myth behind my own name, and thought I would share it with the class. There are several ways to spell Rebecca. The most common spelling is Rebecca. However, my name is spelled Rebekah. The name Rebekah is Hebrew and is mentioned in the Old Testament of the Bible. Like Professor Sexson mentioned in class, Rebekah was the wife of Isaac, and the mother of Jacob and Esau. During my research I also found that the name Rebekah means "connecting or binding two people together, potentially in marriage". It also stated that many people agree that the wedding of Isaac and Rebekah was the first time a veil was used in a wedding ceremony, and as most people know the veil is still used in most modern weddings today.
I hope this is a good way to get the blog started. 


1 comment: